Friday, June 12, 2009

On the threshold to a new chapter in my young life...

I was just recently accepted to attend Fort Lewis College in Durango, CO where I will be furthering my education and RACING! Yes, that’s right. I will be racing under well known coach Matt Shriver. Check out there page. http://cycling.fortlewis.edu/ I am just a little anxious for this next chapter of my life. I am mostly ready for it though I should think. I am registered for classes, I’ve submitted my FAFSA forms for student aid, and written a scholarship essay. In the mean while I am trying to earn some cash so that I can pay for my housing (the first year I have to live on campus) and other expenses of getting there. (On that note; need someone to cut your lawn, wash your dishes… give me a few bucks and I would love too)…
ANY ways in the meanwhile, I am training and racing. I just recently received my upgrade into the pro 1-2-3s. I raced my first race as a 3 at the Sugar House Crit. I did an attack on request of a teammate a tad too early, was counter attacked, and got dropped. Disappointed with the result I decided to jump in and race with the mens 3s. Heck, why not? I hung with them very impressively until the race officials called the prime lap… It was only five laps in, but I had had my fun. Riding with the boys, I hate to say, was much cooler than riding with the gals… But that’s another story. My teammate Jamie pulled a fantastic sprint finish and finished 3rd!
I took the next race, The Garden Creek Gap off to help. I was the follow car for the women’s 1-2-3s and learned a lot about my competitors. Luckily there were no flats. The one crash that occurred was minor and the girls involved in it got back on their bikes and finished the race. Very impressive.
I got on my bike again the next weekend for the State TT. Although I don’t have an aero helmet or bars I managed to scrounge up a helmet…no bars but, I got out there and killed it… or got killed to be more accurate. I had to make do with no aero bars. I think I gave my legs to Karen and that’s why she dominated the field, I came in at 47 minutes for a 30 k. And considering my power was zapped I was satisfied with the result. I really had to push myself mentally and had my first experience of real tunnel vision… It was insane. …
BUT I learned from my TT experience that I am experiencing what cyclist call “burn out” or “Over Training” So I took a much needed recovery week with slower tempo rides. The recent decision of Utah weather to no longer be a desert, but a rainy oasis, helped keep me off the bike as well, but only sent me on the trails to run where I tweeked my knee. However it is healing quickly. And I plan to start a more structured training plan this week so that I can peak my fitness and speed for when I race Twilight. (Twilight is a pro NRC points criterium race in Boise, ID.) So with the advice of my knowledgeable friend Chuck I should be ready to rock!
All of the training I do this summer I am sure will only help my success at Fort Lewis. Matt Shriver will be my coach. I will have a month to month training plan set up by him. I am most excited that I may have the opportunity to be racing on the track. Matt says that a few team members will be sent to Colorado Springs to train on the velodrome of the Olympic Training Center. Then from there he will be choosing a team to take to Pennsylvania to race on the honcho track there. This will be a great opportunity for me. Because racing on the track could be a door for me to move up in the Cycling racing world I would like to get on one even before I make the final move to Durango. So I am thinking that after Twilight in Boise I may continue on the road up to Oregon where I could perhaps race on the track there.….
The term starts August 31st so I will be leaving for school a week in advance. I am still unsure of how I will get there, but I know something will work out. I am anxious, nervous, afraid, and excited while I stand on the threshold to this new chapter of my life, but am greatful for the blessing and opportunities cycling continues to give me on and off the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment