Thursday, May 7, 2009

ICE ICE BABY

This 2009 road season is my first real season of racing. I am on a team with a friend that I met when I got a little bit more into the sport in 2008. Her name is Diane Evans (aka Pink Lightning.) I owe her more thank you and praise than any other cyclist I have met. This lady simply kicks butt at racing, at life, and at being my friend. If it werent for her I wouldnt be as progressed with my racing. She has been there for me through the hardest moments of my life (cyclocross), forgiven me for my weaknesses, and made me more knowledgeable in our sport and opened more doors for me than most anyone. But thats something I probably get into more detail about later.

The point of this blog today is to post my results for the couple of races I have done this season with the jersey of ICE on my back. Thank you all of my sponsors!
The Hell of the North SLC, UT--I started a break accidentally in the first lap. Tayler Wiles was the only one that could manage to stay with me and worked together the other 22 miles of the race. It was truely hellacious do to the fact that 1.5 miles of it was on a dirt road, it was snowing/raining, and it was only 35 degrees. ... We lost the group almost effortlessy, Tayler got me on the line and beat me by no more than an 1/8th of a second. 2nd Place!





Tour of the Depot Tooele, UT-- My first stage race ever! It wasnt as warm as I would have liked it to be, but it didnt rain so I was happy. I had never Time Trialed before in my life and didnt have a TT bike but managed to do great by just riding on my elbows. Rocky (the name of my rocky mountain, super dope, all carbon road bike) and I managed 3rd place in the first stage... 23:44 some odd minutes with a 3 mile climb out of the total 9 miles. The second stage was a 5 mile circuit that we only did 3 laps on. My team mate and I planned some tactics that would get me off the front in the last lap that worked magically. However I pulled two others with me to the finish and once again Tayler Wiles got me on the line by a fraction of a second. 2nd place. In the 49 mile road race, the third stage, I didnt start out feeling good at all, however after like 4 gu gel packs and a lot of sports drink I got a burst of energy around mile 25, bunny hopped a cattle gaurd and broke on the decent with two others. Tayler Wiles and Margret, a masters 35+ plus women. We hauled apples for the other half, worked a hefy pace line, and lost the group. The only things I seemed to know for sure through my aching legs was that that day, Tayler would be the one pulling ME to the line. We all did our fair share of work, but at the finish the smartest man (or woman, in this case) wins! I took first and got a time bonus that in the final results only put me a second behind Tayler Wiles who just last week upgraded to the Cat1-2-3 Women and is placing top 10... I'll let you figure what that may mean for me...

I am now points leader after just two races and think that if I can put it in the sack the next couple of weekends I will be swimming with the big dogs... okay... more like drowing with the big dogs. But I guess it doesnt hurt to just put myself out there. ....... WELL it does hurt, a lot actually, but you got to do it sometime. You catch my draft?? (no pun intended) Might as well enjoy being able to place well while I still can. Lol. I am a bit nervy about upgrading because I am still a newb, but figure I have a lot of peoples support and that it wont hurt for me to learn to talk with my legs rather than my mouth.

The State Criterium Championships are this weekend. I will keep you posted. Thanks all!






No comments:

Post a Comment