Thursday, May 7, 2009

Liberation in the journey, not the destination.

If you havnt cought on yet. I am a cyclist. Not only do I love cycling, I live for cycling. And it all began when I was 15... I had some great idea that biking one hundred miles on a really old rivendale with mustache handle bars, and a tattered brookes sattle would be fun.... even though I had never ridden more than a total of 10 miles in my life! But turns out the sunburn and discomfort made me feel liberated and would only be the begining to what I would soon be devoting a couple or so years of my life to. It was the spark that got the fire burning for FireCross! (dont laugh because it really is my race name...) Although I couldnt afford a bike until a couple months ago I managed to borrow one every now and then and would "liberate myself" for a few hours. In 2008 I met a guy through a friend that happened to be a mechanic of a Utah bike shop. We started dating and one day he busted out an old steel frame Italian Bianchi and informed me, "You're racing this this week." I was up for a challenge and never one to really shut the door on an opportunity... So I rolled out to Ogdens cash crit and got dropped in the first lap of the C flight. The boyfriend let me borrow the bike for the duration of 3 months (thats as long as the relationship could last. :/ ... lol) So I continued doing the weekly cash crits and gradually progressed, started truly expanding my cycling network, fitness, knowledge, and love. (I named the Bianchi, Biancha. I would even talk to her... we had a deep relationship.... lol. Clearly I grow attatched to my bicycles.) But on Biancha I also completed my first road race. It took place in some windy place up in Idaho called the Garden Creek Gap.... (a climbing coarse to put it lightly) That was what I would consider the harshest intro to road racing one could ever recieve. Not only was Biancha a tad heavy (27.68lbs) compaired to the fancy full carbon 15lb bike I have now, but I got dropped in the first 5 miles, having never really climbed more than 1 mile in my life at the Cat 4 women race pace, and just flat out had no idea something could hurt so bad (even running a marathon wasnt that bad!) Not to mention that there were 15 mph winds blowing a massive hail/rain storm that would dump on me the last 10 miles which also happened to be where the big climb was aka THE Gap! dun dun dun..... Ask anyone that was there that day, It flat out SUCKED.... But again. I finished and loved it (not dead last either!!.... A couple girls dropped out! lol.) SO case and point... I got hooked. Started reading books and practically did nothing but think and breath cycling to the point that it was unhealthy for me and my relationships with others. Through time I have gotten better at nurturing the other nessicary parts of my life, but still do everything for the passion I live for. Cycling.


No comments:

Post a Comment