Sunday, May 10, 2009

A State Criterium Champion



The alarm went off at 6:06 am. I was anxious to hop out of bed. I would be taking the train to SLC at 7:10am. So I had to force feed myself quickly, (I always do this race morning. I get nervous and have to gag down the much needed carbs and cals.) chamois up, check my air preasure and roll out. It was a tad chilly, but a beautiful morning that promised a nice day. The train station was buzzing with people going about there Saturday business. Runners also taking the train to Salt Lake for the Find the Cure run that thousands attend. I got to my destination downtown where the State Champion Crit would be taking place. It too was buzzing with people. Runners, bikers, and your morning coffee drinkers lined the sidewalks and baracaded roads (not to mention your typical downtown wierdos, hobos...lol.)
Our 4 corner lap was around Pioneer park. (next to the new SLC Bingham Cyclery and my much favored authentic Italian cafe/market Tony Capputos). I went about signing in, pinning my number on my jersey, warming up, mingling a tiny bit, and then lining up.... aware of my coarse, competitors, and onlookers... GO!

The Ski Utah women started doing short bursts and attacks. But nothing that I couldnt do too. I was feeling pretty good. I thought since they were playing a bit that we could all "play" together and start a break. I went to lead it out looked back.... and bam. Wait... where did they go? They were gone. It was only the 3rd lap in and I felt I was in danger of being cought since we had a good 30 minutes left and I was all alone, no way of drafting myself, If I let up at all they could catch me and I would be in danger of losing.....

Each lap the crowd got louder. Cheering my name, telling me to dig deep, that I looked good...... I pedald hard out of every corner, regaining any lost speed from turning.... I talked to my aching legs, chanting motivating thoughts to my pounding airobic system.... I was thriving on the crowds energy. People I didnt even know cheering me on. The announcer screamed it every lap. "Stephanie Falls. Right Here..... Attacking off the front, starting a break..... All alone. I dont know if they will catch her...... Loook at our Cat 4 women State Champion! Here she is with 8 laps to go!"..... Wait what!? 8 laps to go! What!? Eight more. UGH! OWE. But I had to do it. I could see the group two corners behind me trying to gain.

I had to pedal faster, harder, smoother. If I was hurting, so were they. And I had made the choice, through all of my struggle mentally, emotionally, and with me.... That all of my everything can go into cycling..... AND Only 8 laps. What else do I live for? Go go Go GO! I was doing it! I was doing this. Becoming a state champion. A year ago I only dreamed of it. And now I was DOING IT! I felt like I was in take off. And when I crossed the finish line first... a door had opened even more and for a moment I was soaring on the wings of that dream... of a dream. I am a Utah State Criterium Champion!

Thank you for everyone who cheered me on and who shared that amazing moment of my life with me!

1 comment: